Saucy Spinach and Cottage Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- 4 pieces (about 1 to 1-1/4 pounds) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bag (8 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup tomato/spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- cooked whole wheat pasta (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Slightly pound each chicken breast to an even thickness - DO NOT pound it thin.
- Cut a pocket on the side of each chicken breast and carefully cut it open - DO NOT cut through.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside. Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet.
- Add spinach and garlic; season with a pinch of salt and cook for 2 minutes, or until wilted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let the spinach cool down.
- When cool enough, combine spinach, cottage cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, egg white, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl; mix and stir until well combined.
- Evenly spoon spinach mixture over prepared chicken breasts.
- Seal the chicken breasts with a toothpick and transfer to previously prepared baking dish.
- Combine spaghetti sauce and tomato paste in a small mixing bowl; stir until well combined.
- Spoon sauce mixture over the chicken pieces.
- Cover the dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Put back in the oven and continue to cook for 20 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Serve as is or over cooked whole wheat pasta." By @diethood